Around the World in 41 Days
The Lovin’ Soap Project is about to embark on its biggest mission yet. We will be literally circumventing Planet Earth on a 6-week journey that includes stops in North-Central China, Northern India & Southern Uganda.
On March 4th we fly west over the Pacific to Lanzhou, China in the Gansu Province. From there, we will be teaching a small group of Tibetan women the artisan craft of soapmaking. Set in Dechen Village, we are teaching a total of 5 educated women in their 20s. Not only is there a need for a hygiene initiative in Dechen Village (and surrounding areas), there is a need for WORK. These educated women cannot find a job, and they need to feed their families. This is where the Lovin’ Soap Project comes in. With an already sound business mindset, the group is hoping to target Shanghai as their main marketplace and business hub. We will be staying here for 2 weeks.
From Lanzhou, China, we will head south and fly into New Delhi, India. From there we will work with a wonderful organization, The Pardada Pardadi Education Center, which facilitates the creation of a socially and economically empowered rural society, especially for girls and young women. Pardada Pardadi is roughly a 4 hour drive east of New Delhi. Pardada Pardadi is intrinsically tied to education, and within the school and programs is a health and hygiene program. Since 2010, the students have brushed their teeth and washed their hands with soap daily at school. Handwashing has resulted in our girls being healthier, as well as reducing absenteeism. Currently, Pardada Pardadi requests soap donations and tries to get their hands on as much soap as they can, as funding is always difficult. Through our training and initiative, the handwashing will be done with soap made from the women in the villages after they are trained by The Lovin’ Soap Project.
After a 2-week stay in India, we will be back in the air, flying to Entebbe. We will return to the Nakivumbi Village in Southern Uganda to re-engage the same group of women we taught in July of 2014. We will help them expand their product line to include lip balms and perhaps a few other items to sell, which they are currently doing with their ‘Sabuni Kawa’ (Coffee Soap).
This is a CALL to action! Not a whisper! We need your help!
Every donation you make is tax deductible. This is the beauty of our organization, like so many others out there doing great things. We believe in what we are doing. We believe in Women’s Empowerment and expanding our efforts into the Far East is an amazing opportunity. But we can’t do this without help and financial support. The Lovin’ Soap Project has set a target of $20,000 to raise by March 1st that we CAN reach with your help.
Your call to ACTION:
- Donate by March 1st or sooner. Even a few bucks. It all adds up. If you are reading this, you are in the community for a better world through empowering women. You are part of this shared sense of belonging that is greatly needed. We are teaching a craft that can and will develop economies in developing nations, with women being the proprietors. We are teaching a craft that can be passed on to daughters, villages, communities and regions. We are teaching a craft that can thwart the impending tragedies brought on by poor sanitation. Diarrhea kills 4,000 children every day around the world. In Africa, it is the leading killer of children under 5 years old, causing more deaths than AIDS, malaria and measles combined. But there are very simple solutions to this problem - clean drinking water, hygienic toilets and effective hand and body washing. Providing people in developing countries with access to clean drinking water, effective sanitation and education on the importance of good hygiene practice are some of the most cost effective ways of achieving real results in health. It helps them beat poverty and can help to prevent around 2.4 million unnecessary deaths every year.
- Spread the word. Pass this link on to your family and friends. Do it now. Tell your loved ones and colleagues what we are doing and why. Tell them we need help.
- Give us advice. Ask us questions. Tell us what you are curious about with our organization. Call us, email us, or write to us. We want to hear from you. We need your help. We need your input and opinions. We need to hear your curiosity and inquisitiveness.
- Benjamin: 816.352.8206
- Amanda: 214.505.0312
- Benjamin: [email protected]
- Amanda: [email protected]
Thank you for your support and conjoined passion for our project. We cannot do this without you. No matter the circumstances or obstacles we face in working for The Lovin’ Soap Project, we have drafted a dream and we know the path is being cleared for us to hike it. I encourage you to do this in your own life as well. Know that your heart and soul has no limits and the world always seems to respond and work with you in revealing what it is you want in life, no matter what.
Thank you so much. Do incredible things today.
Sarah Chapin says
I hope each stop brings you happiness and success in your mission.Be safe and go touch some lives with saponification!!!
Rose Cunfer says
so wish i could come along….but will be with you in spirit and prayers
Gayle Wallace says
Fabulous work.I have great admiration for your good works, and dreams. I shall be contributing in my own small way. Blessings to all involved